Carers Australia represents the interests of carers in Australia. To meet its objectives objectives, Carers Australia may collect personal information from carers and members of the public who contact us.
Carers Australia is required by law to comply with the Privacy Act 1988 and the National Privacy Principles which outline the core requirements of the Privacy Act 1988.
Under the Act individuals have the right to know what information an organisation holds about them and the right to have that information corrected if inaccurate.
1. Carers Australia collects and uses personal information (such as name, age, gender, address, telephone number, email) of people including carers, a person receiving care and members of the public for several reasons including:
- posting and monitoring requested and follow-up resources individuals
- providing statistical data to various bodies for funding and lobbying purposes
- advising members of upcoming functions
Individuals may choose to remain anonymous which will not affect the service they receive.
2. Carers Associations will not disclose personal information except under the following circumstances:
- permission is obtained on the appropriate form
- Carers Australia believe that such action is reasonably necessary to conform to legal requirements or to protect the interests of Carers Australia users or others.
3. Individuals are entitled at any time to request details of their personal information held by Carers Australia. Contact us directly to make a request.
4. Carers Australia is required under the National Privacy Principles to ensure all personal information is kept secure. This is achieved by:
- having password access to all computers
- employing a firewall for the computer network
- locating information in a locked building with a security system
- binding employees to confidentiality via a Staff Code of Conduct
5. If an individual feels their privacy has been breached he or she may write a letter outlining the breach to Carers Australia. Acknowledgement of the complaint will be issued within 14 days. Such complaints will be taken extremely seriously and take necessary action to resolve the complaint.
If you have any queries in relation to privacy, please contact us.